Sunday, March 4, 2012

News from the Library of Congress' Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers

More than 550,000 pages and 100 Titles Added to Chronicling America in Recent Months

Since October 2011, the National Digital Newspaper Program has expanded the Chronicling America site by more than 550,000 historic newspaper pages published in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Including titles like the Wenatchee Daily World (Wenatchee, WA), the Anti-Slavery Bugle (New-Lisbon, OH) and the Montana News (Lewiston, MT), these pages have been digitized from collections in Arizona, California, the District of Columbia, Hawaii, Kansas, Louisiana, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, and Washington. More than 4.7 million pages are now available online, published between 1836 and 1922.

4 comments:

  1. Wow...Didn't know it was that extensive. I use it all the time, but i take LOC for granted. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Miriam, a wonderful service. May I use your info in our Genealogy newsletter (with attribution of course.) I've been looking at the Daytona Morning Journal (April 1975) and it looks good until I click the magnifier then the pages are completely scrambled and useless. I use Chrome but tried IE, FireFox & Opera, no difference. I flagged it as unreadable. Jerry Hale, Roots & Branches Genealogical Society of West Volusia County, Florida

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jerry, I apologize for not responding sooner. For future reference, I don't always catch these comments. It's best to email me (kidmiff@gmail.com - address also shown on my profile page). Yes, you are welcome to use my info in your genealogy newsletter with attribution. Thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete