Thursday, April 29, 2010

Browse Issues in Google News Archive

One of my favorite genealogy bloggers, Taneya Koonce, sent me a link to her post at the North Carolina GenWeb project, highlighting the Browse feature of Google News Archive.

While I still am not impressed with Google News Archives' setup (you can't at all easily browse for titles by location - you must know the name of the newspaper first), I am delighted that at least a step has been taken in the direction of making browsing known titles a little easier!

Scanned papers at Google News Archives appear to be free, unlike links to articles they list in search results that may or may not be included in their archives: some are linked to subscription website NewsBank, others to the newspaper websites' for-pay archives. Dick Eastman has a link of some scanned papers here at his blog, but I do know this list is not comprehensive.

You can help me out by e-mailing me or commenting below when you find your favorite scanned titles at Google News Archives. Please include the link to the browsable title. As I receive this information, I'll get these titles added to the website.

No comments:

Post a Comment